Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Charlotte--Blog 1

My 0809 travel season has begun! That means that the blogs will be back in semi-full force (read: when I'm bored or have something ridiculous to report). Today qualifies on both fronts.

The program started off with me realizing I have forgotten the lesson that I thought I learned last year. I booked a flight leaving National at 7:15 am--getting me to Charlotte a whole 7 hours before I needed to be here. Last year I vowed not to book flights so early as it forces me to drag myself out of bed before the hour of 5 am (unholy). But what can you do, sometimes people in early flight recovery have slips. This was mine.

I got in my cab at 6 am and started down Connecticut Ave without incident. Even before hitting Woodley Park the cab had to pull over to re-shut the trunk which had popped open and was bouncing wildly in the wind. The cab driver closed the trunk and we proceeded. I sat in the cab, answering e-mails and making a mental to-do list until I heard the most outrageous racket coming from the car. And then what smelled like burning rubber. I looked up to find that we were on the GW parkway, doing about 45 MPH and the driver said "hmm, I've got a flat tire. Don't worry, we'll make it there." This sounded suspect to me but you should never question a professional, so I went back to my e-mails and tried to ignore the smell/sound. We went for maybe a mile and then the ride began to resemble what I can only imagine a wagon ride felt like on the Oregon Trail....except with more burning rubber smell and lite '80s classics sound. The cab driver pulled over and told me "don't worry, I'm really good at changing tires, this should only take a second." He gets out of the car, opens the trunk and begins jacking up the car. All the while, cars are whizzing by, honking their horns and I am alternately worrying that a.) he'll be hit by one of these speed racers, and b.) I might miss my flight. Luckily, less than 10 minutes later, he is back in the car and we are on our way. I tipped him well -- after all, he could have died changing that tire.

Other notes (not as interesting):

1.) When I got to the airport and went to check in they told me that USAir now charges $17 dollars per checked bag. What the shit is that? I'm pretty sure ticket prices are high enough to cover the cost of putting my tiny bag in the large open space in the bowels of the plane. I can understand charging a fee if it was unusual to travel with luggage, but I'm pretty sure it's not. If I wanted to travel with a dog, or a snowboard, or even a small bird (yeah right! a.) that would never happen, and b.) it should fly there on it's own if it wants to go) then I could see a fee. But just my regular bag? It's total crap.

2.) Charlotte smells like pancakes. The whole town.

3.) My cab driver in Charlotte was driving 52 miles a hour in downtown traffic. I know they like NASCAR down here but seriously?!?

1 comment:

Jack D'Mestiere said...

Man o man, you didn't learn travel from me. I would have planned to be at National at 5:45--I mean what if the cab had a flat tire or the line at security was long?

What is with the pancake smell?